Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANOVER

LLANOVER, a village and a parish in Abergavenny district, Monmouth. The village stands on the river Usk, near Penpergwm r. station, 3½ miles SSE of Abergavenny; is a considerable place; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Hall. The parish is cut into two divisions, lower and upper; and includes part of the chapelry of Blaenavon. Post town, Abergavenny. Acres of the lower div., 1,877. Real property, £3,061. Pop., 348. Houses, 64. Acres of the upper div., 2,865. Real property, £13,420; of which £6,816 are in iron-works, and £30 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,2,600; in 1861, 3,942. Houses, 779. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the Blaenavon Iron and Coal Company's works. Pop. in 1861, of the part in Blaenavon chapelry, 3,816. Houses, 747. The property is not much divided. Llanover Court is the seat of Lord Llanover. Part of the land is hilly, and is overhung by the Blorenge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is a small uninteresting building, and was reported in 1859 as not good. The p. curacy of Blaenavon is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Calvinistic Methodists, a free school supported by Lady Llanover, and an endowed school with £150 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llanofer AP/CP       Abergavenny PLU/RegD       Monmouthshire AncC
Place: Llanover

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.