Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANWENARTH

LLANWENARTH, a village and a parish in Abergavenny district, Monmouth. The village stands on the river Usk, under the Sugarloaf mountain, 1 mile E of the boundary with Brecon, and 2¼ W by N of Abergavenny r. station; is a considerable place; and contains some curious houses. The parish is cut into two divisions, Citra and Ultra, and extends beyond the Brecon canal. Post town, Abergavenny. Acres of thediv., 2,860. Real property, £2,463. Pop. in 1851,254; in 1861,230. Houses, 53. Acres of the U. div., 2,480. Real property, £4,307; of which £285 are in ironworks, and £165 in the canal. Pop. in 1851,2,248; in 1861, 2,096. Houses, 421. The property is much subdivided. Graig Hill, a shoulder of the Sugarloaf mountain, is covered with wood; and ironstone rocks of it are extensively worked into what is called bastard lime. Other tracts yield ironstone and coal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £267.* Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. The church has a later English tower, and is good. A large portion of the Ultra div. was constituted a separate charge in 1865; and the living of it is a vicarage of the value of £274, in the patronage of the Rector. Another portion, which had a pop. of 660 in 1861, is included in the chapelry of Blaenavon, which was constituted in 1860. Charities, £4.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llanwenarth AP       Llanwenarth Citra CP/Hmlt       Llanwenarth Ultra Hmlt/CP       Abergavenny PLU/RegD       Monmouthshire AncC
Place: Llanwenarth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.