Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LONDESBOROUGH

LONDESBOROUGH, a parish, with a railway station, in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire; on Erminestreet, adjacent to the York and Market-Weighton railway, 2 ½ miles NNW of Market-Weighton. It contsins the hamlet of East Thorpe; is believed to include the Roman station Delgovitia; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Denison. Post town, Market-Weighton, under Brough, Yorkshire. Acres, 4,200. Real property, £5,030. Pop., 306. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Cliffords and others, and passed to the Duke of Devonshire. Londesborough Park is the seat of Lord Londesborough; and has finely wooded grounds, in which Roman coins and other antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £798. * Patron, Lord Londesborough. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains several brasses and marble ornaments, and a stone font. There are a national school, alms houses for 12 persons with £100 ayear from endowment, and other charities £3.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Londesborough Tn/CP       Londesborough AP       Pocklington PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Londesborough

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.