Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LONGFORD

LONGFORD, a township and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dove, 5¾ miles SSE of Ashborne r. station; and has a post office under Derby. Real property, £5,312. Pop., 500. Houses, 95. The parish contains also the townships of Hollington, Rodsley, and Alkmonton, and the liberty of Hungry-Bentley. Acres, 3,920. Real property, £10,418. Pop., 1,157. Houses, 228. The property is not much divided. The manors of Longford, Hollington, and Rodsley belong to the Hon. E. K. W. Coke; and that of Hungry-Bentley belongs to Lord Vernon. Longford Hall is the seat of the Hon. E. K. W. Coke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £700. * Patron, W. Evans, Esq. The church is partly Norman; was restored in 1843; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments to the Coke family. The vicarage of Alkmouton is a separate benefice. There was once a chapel in Hungry-Bentley. There are a national school in Longford township; a Primitive Methodist chapel in Hollington; Wesleyan chapels in Rodsley and in Thurvaston; a national school for boys and girls, an endowed school, with £40 a year, and alms houses with £55, founded by the Coke family.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Longford CP/AP       Ashbourne PLU/RegD       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Longford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.