Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LOUGHTON

LOUGHTON, a chapelry in Chetton parish, Salop; under Brown-Clee hill, 7 miles NW of Cleobury-Mortimer r. station, and 9 NE of Ludlow. Post town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 1,015. Rated property, £600. Pop., 100. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Viscount Boyne. The living is annexed to the rectory of Chetton, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is about 300 years old. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Chetton AP/CP       Loughton Ch/CP       Shropshire AncC
Place: Loughton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.