Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LOVINGTON

LOVINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Wincanton district, Somerset; near the river Brue, 3 miles WSW of Castle-Cary r. station, and 10 SW of Wincanton. Posttown, Castle-Cary, under Bath. Acres, 822. Real property, with Wheathill and Alford, £3,793. Rated property of L. alone, £1,140. Pop., 239. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. Tidcombe, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £76.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church was early English,-of nave and chancel, with a tower; and the tower was rebuilt in 1861,-the rest in 1864. There are a national school, and charities £15.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lovington CP/AP       Wincanton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Lovington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.