Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MARKINGTON

MARKINGTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Ripon parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Wormald-Green r. station, and 5 SSW of Ripon; and has a post office under Leeds.-The township bears the name of Markington-with-Wallerthwaite, and comprises 3,056 acres. Real property, £4,607. Pop., 496. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Wilberforce, Esq. Agricultural implements are made, and lime is calcined. -The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1 845. Pop., 535. Houses, 120. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £180.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church was built in 1844; is in the pointed style; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and belfry; and has three stained windows and sedilia. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a slightly endowed Church of England school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ripon Tn/AP/CP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Markington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.