Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MARSTON-SICCA, or LONG MARSTON

MARSTON-SICCA, or LONG MARSTON, a village and a parish in the district of Stratford-on-Avon and county of Gloucester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the Honeybourne and Stratford railway, within 2 miles of the boundaries with Warwic1k and Worcester, 5½ miles SW of Stratford-on-Avon; consists of two parts, called respectively Marston-Sicca and Long MarSton; contains a house in which Charles II. lay concealed in the flight from Worcester; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stratford-on-Avon, both of the name of Long Marston. The parish comprises 1,680 acres. Real property, £2,848. Pop., 371. Houses, 80. The manor belongs to F. Tomes, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £430.* Patron, FTomes, Esq. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a tower, and contains an old Norman font. There are an endowed school with £101 a year, and charities £6.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Long Marston CP/AP       Gloucestershire AncC
Place names: LONG MARSTON     |     MARSTON SICCA     |     MARSTON SICCA OR LONG MARSTON
Place: Long Marston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.