Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MARTIN (ST.)-IN-MENEAGE

MARTIN (ST.)-IN-MENEAGE, a village and a Iparish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Hel, 5¾ miles SE by E of Helston, and 9 S by W of Penrhyn r. station. The parish comprises 2,294 acres of land, and 75 of water. Post town, Helston, Cornwall. Real property, £1,809. Pop. in 1851,522; in 1861,419. Houses, 95. The property is divided amoug a few. Tremayne was the seat of the Tremayne fam ily, and the residence of Capt. Wallis, the circnmnavigator. Trelowarren is a chief residence. The rocks include limestone and serpentine. An ancient camp, occupying 14 acres, and surrounded by a very deep fosse, is at Gear; and another ancient camp is at Carvallack. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Mawgan, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1830, but retains the tower of the previous edifice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Helston PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place: St Martin in Meneage

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.