Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWTOWN

NEWTOWN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Kells, on the road from Bailieborough, by Navan, to Dublin; containing 217 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by a small river, which runs into the Blackwater at Bloomsbury; and it comprises 1010 ¾ statute acres of tolerably good land, chiefly in tillage. Newtown, formerly belonging to the Meredyth family, is now the residence of Mrs. Groves. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1802, to the rectories of Kilbeg, Emlagh, and Robertstown, together constituting the union of Newtown, every third presentation to which is in the Bishop, and the other two in the Crown. The tithes amount to £66, and the gross value of the benefice, inclusively of the glebe, to £462. 10. The glebe-house was built in 1811, at an expense of £1384, of which £100 was a gift and £600 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £50 per annum. The church of the union, an ancient edifice, is in Kilbeg. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Stahalmock.


(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Kells Lower IrlBarony       Meath IrlC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.