Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWTOWN

NEWTOWN, a village, in the parish of LUSMAGH, barony of GARRYCASTLE, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ½ mile (S.) from Banagher, on the road from Parsonstown to Cloghan castle; containing 59 houses and 348 inhabitants. Here is a station of the constabulary police.


(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Offaly IrlC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.