Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KYLE, or CLONFERTMULLOE

KYLE, or CLONFERTMULLOE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¾ mile (N. W.) from Burros-in-Ossory, on the road to Roscrea; containing 1810 inhabitants. It comprises 6225 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2802 per annum. Agriculture is improving; there is little bog, but a considerable quantity of mountain land. Charleville, the property of the White family, and now in the occupation of Col. Johnson, is situated in a handsome demesne. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Roscrea; the tithes amount to £111.16.10. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Roscrea, and contains a chapel. There is a public school of 20 children, to which Sir C. Coote, Bart, and the Rev. W. Higgins contribute: and a private school of about 40 children. Here are the remains of an encampment, of the old church, and of Ballaghmore and Cloneurse castles.


(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Laoighis IrlC
Place names: CLONFERTMULLOE     |     KYLE     |     KYLE OR CLONFERTMULLOE

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.