Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KILLURSA

KILLURSA, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with part of the post-town of Headford, 4612 inhabitants. It is situated on Lough Corrib, and contains a great quantity of bog and limestone. The principal seats are Ower, the residence of J. Burke, Esq.; Clarren, of J. Brown, Esq.; and Carnacrow, of W. Skerrett, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Head-ford; the tithes amount to £211. 10. 10 ½. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Headford, and has a chapel, which was built in 1770 at an expense of £350. About 230 children are educated in three public schools, two of which are entirely supported by R. Mansergh St. George, Esq., and the rector, and to the other J. Burke, Esq., has given half an acre of land rent-free; and about 280 in six private schools. Sir George Leonard Staunton, Bart., secretary to the British embassy to China, in 1793, of which he published an account, was a native of this place. Some battle-axes and javelins were found here a few years since.


(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Clare IrlBarony       Galway IrlC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.