Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BELLEEK

BELLEEK, a parish, in the barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (E.) from Ballyshannon; containing 2702 inhabitants, of which number, 260 are in the village. This place is situated on Lough Erne, and on the road from Enniskillen to Ballyshannon, and was erected into a parish in 1792, by disuniting 36 townlands from the parish of Templecarn; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 12,848 ½ statute acres, of which 9706 are applotted under the tithe act, and 2576 are water. The land is principally heathy mountain, but that which is under tillage is of very superior quality; the state of agriculture, though very backward, is gradually improving; there is a large tract of bog, and abundance of limestone. The seats are Castle Caldwell, the residence of J. C. Bloomfield, Esq., and Maghramena, of W. Johnston, Esq. The village contains 47 houses, and has a penny post to Ballyshannon and Enniskillen. It is a station of the constabulary police; fairs are held on Feb. 3rd, March 17th, May 17th, June 20th, and Oct. 10th, and petty sessions every alternate Thursday.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £110. The church, a neat plain edifice, was erected in 1790, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £267. 9. 2. for its repair. The glebe-house is a handsome residence: the glebe comprises 660 statute acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Templecairn or Pettigo; the chapel is a spacious and well-built edifice, with a slated roof. There are schools at Belleek and Tullynabehogue, partly supported by the rector; and at Castle Caldwell is a school supported by Mrs. Bloomfield. In these schools are about 60 boys and 80 girls; and there are also three pay schools, in which are about 180 boys and 70 girls, and a Sunday school. There are some ruins of the old church; on the shore of Lough Keenaghan are those of an abbey; and there are remains of several Danish forts in the parish.

(Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); Transcription © Derek Rowlinson, 2005-10. Reproduced from LibraryIreland. We are deeply grateful to LibraryIreland for allowing us to use their transcription.)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Belleek IrlPar       Lurg IrlBarony       Fermanagh IrlC
Place: Belleek

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.