Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LANGLEY-BURY

LANGLEY-BURY, a hamlet in Abbots-Langley parish, Herts; near the Grand Junction canal and the North-western railway, 3¼ miles NW by N of Watford. .A handsome church was erected here, in 1864, at the expense of Jones Lloyd, Esq.; is in the early decorated English style, of square flints and Bath stone; comprises nave, N aisle, chancel, vestry, and porch, with tower and shingle spire 130 feet high; and includes, on the S side of the chancel, a mortuary chapel of the Lloyd family. Langley-Bury House was built by Chief Justice Raymond; passed to the Whittingstalls; and is now the seat of J. Lloyd, Esq.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Abbots Langley AP/CP       Hertfordshire AncC
Place: Langley Bury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.