Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HARDRES (UPPER)

HARDRES (UPPER), a parish in Bridge district, Kent; on Stane-street, 4 miles SE of Chartham r. station, and 4½ S of Canterbury. It includes the hamlets of Bossingham and Palmstead; and it has a post-office under Canterbury. Acres, 2,039. Real property, £2,230. Pop., 271. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Hardres family; one of whom, Sir Robert Hardres, after the siege of Bologne, in the time of Henry VIII., brought over the gates of that town. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Stelling, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £589. * Patrons, E. S. Lumsdaine, Esq., and the Heirs of Lady Hardres. The church is ancient but good; comprises two aisles and a chancel; and contains several very old memorials. An endowed school has £89 a-year; and other charities have £19.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Upper Hardres CP/AP       Bridge PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: HARDRES     |     HARDRES UPPER     |     UPPER HARDRES
Place: Upper Hardres

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.