Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LANDCROSS

LANDCROSS, a parish in Bideford district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 2 miles SSE of Bideford r. station. Post-town, Bideford. Acres, 331. Real property, £577. Pop., 109. Houses, 21. The manor was formerly known as Lancras, or Langrasse; belonged to the Giffards; and passed to Lord Rolle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £81.* Patrons, the Heirs of Lord Rolle. The church is very small and good. General Monk, Duke of Albemarle, was baptized here, and perhaps was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Landcross AP/CP       Bideford PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place: Landcross

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.