Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LATTON

LATTON, a parish, with a village, in Epping district, Essex; on the river Stort and the Eastern Counties railway, at the boundary with Herts, 1 mile E by S of Burnt-Mill r. station, and 1½ SW of Harlow. Post-town. Harlow. Acres, 1,605. Real property, £3,078. Pop., 196. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded here before 1276; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Henry Parker; and has left some remains, in decorated English architecture, now used as a barn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £480.* Patron, L. Arkwright, Esq. The church is good, has a tower, and contains three old brasses.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Latton AP/CP       Epping PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place: Latton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.