Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LANE-END

LANE-END, a village in Great Marlow parish, and a chapelry partly also in Fingest, Hambleden, and West Wycombe parishes, Bucks. The village stands near the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 miles SW of West Wycombe r. station, and 5 W by S of High Wycombe; and has a post-office under High Wycombe. The chapelry was constituted in 1832. Pop., 1,162. Houses, 218. Pop. of the Hambleden portion, 114; of the Fingest portion, 210; of the Great Marlow portion, 463. Chair-making is largely carried on; and there are extensive agricultural implement works, an iron foundry, and a small pottery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £106. * Patron, the Rector of Hambleden. The church was built in 1832. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Fingest and Lane End CP/AP       Great Marlow CP/AP       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place: Lane End

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.