Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Ongar, (or Chipping Ongar)

Ongar, (or Chipping Ongar), small market town and par. with ry. sta., Essex, in NW. of co., on river Roding, 6 miles E. of Epping and 23½ NE. of London, 511 ac., pop. 992; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. Ongar is a very old place, and was anciently called Aungre. It occupies the site of an ancient entrenchment, and was a Roman settlement, of which numerous relics have been found. Remains of an ancient castle are also here. The Roding is crossed at Ongar by a handsome 3-arched bridge.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "small market town and parish with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Chipping Ongar AP/CP       Ongar CP       Essex AncC
Place names: AUNGRE     |     CHIPPING ONGAR     |     ONGAR     |     ONGAR OR CHIPPING ONGAR
Place: Chipping Ongar

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.