Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Stoke upon Trent

Stoke upon Trent, parl. and mun. bor., market town, and par., Staffordshire, on river Trent and on the Trent and Mersey Canal, 14 miles N. of Stafford by rail - par., 12,818 ac., pop. 104,313; parl. bor., pop. 64,091; mun. bor., 1660 ac., pop. 19,261; 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Stoke upon Trent grew around the pottery works erected by Josiah Wedgwood (1730-1795), and is a seat of the china and earthenware mfr. Encaustic tiles and tesselated pavements are extensively made. Stoke upon Trent was made a parl. bor. (with limits including the mun. bors. of Burslem, Hanley, and Longton, and other parts of the Potteries district) in 1832, and a mun. bor. in 1874. It returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members until 1885, when its parliamentary limits were reduced by the extension of the parliamentary limits of Newcastle under Lyme, and the formation of the new parl. bor. of Hanley.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parliamentary and municipal borough, market town, and parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Stoke on Trent AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Stoke on Trent

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.