Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for New Mills

New Mills.-- town with ry. sta., Glossop par., Derbyshire, on river Goyt, 5 miles NW. of Chapel en le Frith and 8&hg miles SE. of Stockport, pop. 6552; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is a place of modern growth, consists of the townships of Beard and Disley Stanley, and took its name from a new mill erected here. It has calico printing works, cotton band manufactories, and an iron and brass foundry.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "town with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Glossop CP/AP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: New Mills

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.