Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Penshurst

Penshurst, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Kent - par. (containing Fordcombe), 4568 ac., pop. 1673; vil. at confluence of rivers Eden and Medway, 4 miles SW. of Tunbridge; P.O., T.O. Penshurst Place, seat of Lord de L'Isle and Dudley, owes its celebrity to the Sidneys, whose property it became in the reign of Edward VI. Sir Philip Sidney (1554-1586) and Algernon Sidney (1622-1683) were born here.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish and village with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Penshurst AP/CP       Kent AncC
Place: Penshurst

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.