Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Repton

Repton, par., township, and vil. (ry. sta. Repton and Willington), Derbyshire, 4 miles NE. of Burton-on-Trent - par., 5487 ac., pop. 2060; township, pop. 1724; P.O., T.O. Repton was a seat of the Mercian kings, and has numerous remains of antiquity. A nunnery was founded here in the 7th century, and a priory, which has left some traces, in 1172. The school, which ranks high among educational institutions, was founded in 1556.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish, township, and village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Repton AP/CP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Repton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.