Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Radnor, New

Radnor, New, ancient bor. and par. with ry. sta., Radnorshire, on river Somergill, 6 miles NW. of Kington and 60 miles NW. of Bristol, 3401 ac., pop. 472; P. O. New Radnor is pleasantly situated at the entrance of the pass from the Forest of Radnor to the Vale of Radnor, and has some slight remains of castle and walls destroyed by Owen Glyndwr in 1401. It has charters granted by Queen Elizabeth and George II. The Radnor District of Parliamentary Boroughs (Cefnllys, Knighton, Knucklas, New Radnor, Presteigne, and Rhayader) returned 1 member until 1885.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "ancient borough and parish with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: New Radnor AP/CP       Radnor Borough       Radnorshire AncC
Place names: NEW RADNOR     |     RADNOR     |     RADNOR NEW
Place: New Radnor

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.