Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Newark upon Trent

Newark upon Trent, mun. bor., market town, and par., Notts, 18½ miles NE. of Nottingham and 120 miles from London by rail - par., 2108 ac., pop. 14,083; bor., 1933 ac., pop. 14,018; 3 Banks, 2 news-papers. Market-day, Wednesday. Newark has ancient British and Roman associations. The castle, now an imposing ruin, is supposed to have been founded by Egbert, King of the West Saxons. Here King John died in 1216. Three sieges were sustained by the town during the Civil War, and it was surrendered to the Scottish army in 1646. Newark is connected with the Trent navigation, and carries on an immense trade in malt and flour; its corn market is one of the largest in the kingdom. Ironfounding, brassfounding, brewing, and the mfr. of boilers and agricultural implements, are conspicuous industries. The town has long been known for the mfr. of a special plaster, which alone was used in the erection of the great International Exhibition. Newark returned 2 members to Parliament until 1885.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "municipal borough, market town, and parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Newark upon Trent CP/AP       Newark upon Trent Borough/AD_Town       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Newark

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.