Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Millom

Millom, town, par., and township, with ry. sta. (Millom, Holborn Hill), at S. extremity of Cumberland, on W. side of Duddon estuary, 6 miles SW. of Broughton-in-Furness and 13 miles SE. of Ravenglass - par., 34,866 ac., pop. 8099; township, 13,531 ac., pop. 7698; town, 1313 ac., pop. 6228; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper; has mines and ironworks; Millom Castle (1335) has left some remains; in vicinity of town is Millom Park, seat.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "town, parish, and township, with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Millom CP/AP       Cumberland AncC
Place: Millom

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.