Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Fordwich

Fordwich, par., vil., and corporate member of the Cinque Port of Sandwich, E. Kent, on river Stour, 2 miles NE. of Canterbury -- par., 465 ac., pop. 228; corporate member, pop. 243. Fordwich is an ancient town, with a charter of time of Henry II. It gives the title of viscount to Earl Cowper.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish, village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Fordwich AP/CP       Kent AncC
Place: Fordwich

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.