Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Doncaster

Doncaster, mun. bor., market town, par., and township, S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Don, and on the line of the ancient Roman road of Watling Street, 32 miles S. of York and 156 miles N. of London by rail -- par., 10,197 ac., pop. 25,887; bor. and township, 1691 ac., pop. 21,139; 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. D. was the Danum of the Romans and the Dona Ceastre (Camp on the Don) of the Saxons. Previous to the Reformation it was the seat of several monastic establishments. Its corn market is of considerable importance, and its trade is mainly agricultural; it has, however, mfrs. of canvas, sacks, and ropes, some iron and brass foundries, and agricultural implement works, besides the extensive locomotive and carriage works of the Great Northern Ry. About 1 mile to the SE. of the town is the racecourse, one of the oldest and finest in the kingdom.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "municipal borough, market town, parish, and township"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Doncaster Tn/CP/AP       Doncaster Borough       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Doncaster

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.