Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Lesmahagow

Lesmahagow, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire - par., 41,299 ac., pop. 9949; vil. (also called Abbey Green), on river Nethan, 6 miles SW. of Lanark and 12 miles SE. of Hamilton, pop. 1386; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; the parish church stands on the site of a 12th century priory; Lesmahagow is chiefly a mining parish, but large quantities of fruit are also grown.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish and village with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lesmahagow ScoP       Lanarkshire ScoCnty
Place: Lesmahagow

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.