Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Ferintosh

Ferintosh, a detached section of Nairnshire, at the head of Cromarty Firth, surrounded by Ross-shire, and lying about 2¼ miles SE of Dingwall. It forms the central district of the united parish of Urquhart and Logie-Wester; it comprises part of the Mullbuie, and part of the strath at that ridge's south-western base; it is bounded, along the W, for 2½ miles, by the river Conan and the upper part of Cromarty Firth; and it comprises 5973 acres of land, partly moor, partly pasture, but chiefly arable. The barony of Ferintosh was purchased about 1670 by the Forbeses of Culloden, who here have a mansion, Ryefield Lodge; and a privilege of distilling whisky on it, from grain of its own growth, free of duty, was granted in 1689 to Duncan Forbes, father of President Forbes, but was withdrawn in 1785, being compensated by a grant of £20,000. The great improvements carried out on the estate since 1847 in the way of reclaiming, draining, fencing, building, etc., are described in Tran. Highl. and Ag. Soc., 1877, pp. 113-116.


(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a detached section of Nairnshire"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cromarty ScoCnty       Nairnshire ScoCnty       Ross Shire ScoCnty
Place: Ferintosh

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.