Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WINCHESTER

WINCHESTER, a city, a district, and a division in Hants, and a diocese comprehending all Hants, most of Surrey, and all the Channel Islands. The city stands on the river Itchin and on the Southwestern railway, 12 miles NNE of Southampton; and is connected by canal, along the course of the Itchin, with Southampton.

History.—Winchester was the Caer-Gwent of the an cient Britons, the Venta Belgarum of the Romans, and the Wintanceaster or Winteceaster of the Saxons. The Belgæ called it Caer-Gwent, signifying "the white fort" or "the white city," and made it their capital. The Romans called it Venta Belgarum, signifying "the Gwent of the Belgæ;" erected in it temples to Apollo and to Concord; and formed roads from it to Southampton, Porchester, Silchester, and Old Sarum. The Saxons called it Wintanceaster, signifying the same thing as Caer-Gwent; and made it their capital, first for Wessex, next for all England. The legendary King Arthur, of "the round table," is much associated with it; a deep fosse of apparently an aboriginal stronghold of the ancient Britons is on the top of St. Catherine's Hill, contiguous to it on the S; urns, pottery, and graves of the Romans, and coins of the British usurpers Carausius and Alectus have been found at it; and the incident which gave rise to the popular notion as to a continuance of rain for forty days if rain should fall on St. Swithin's day, occurred at it. Cerdic, the first king of Wessex, was buried in it; all the subsequent kings of Wessex were crowned and buried in it; Kynegils, in 635, accepted in it the Christian faith from Birinus, the first Christian missionary to Western England; Kenewalch, in 660, made it the seat of a diocese; and Egbert, in 827, was crowned in it as king of all England The Danes assaulted it in 862, got temporary possession of it in 871, and attacked it again at subsequent dates; but the Saxon kings repelled them, and continued to make it their capital. Alfred sat in it in the midst of his "witan," and sent forth from it the greater portion of his laws. Athelstan established six mints in it, while London had only three. Edgar fixed the Winchester bushel as the standard of measure for all England. A great massacre of Danes, known as the Hocktide massacre, was perpetrated in the city in 1002; and a retaliation on the inhabitants for it was done by Sweyne in 1013. Canute, on coming to the throne, also made Winchester his capital, and is said to have hung up his crown in its cathedral. Edward the Confessor was crowned in it in 1042; and his mother Emma passed the ordeal of red-hot ploughshares in it in 1044. Earl Godwin died in it in 1066.

William the Conqueror, though crowned at Westminster, honoured Winchester as still a capital; and so did his Norman successors, and the early Plantagenets. Both the Conqueror and William Rufus kept Easter in its palace; and the latter was brought to it, in 1100, after his death in the New Forest. Henry I. was married in it, made it his chief seat, and contributed greatly to its prosperity. The city then reached its culminating point; extended about a mile in every direction beyond its present limits,-on the N, to Worthy,-on the E, to St. Magdalen's hill,-on the S, to St. Cross,-on the W, to Weeke; had crowdedly attended fairs, a considerable woollen manufacture, and an extensive commerce with the Continent; was a focus of thoroughfare between the eastern and the western parts of the kingdom; contained a palace, two castles, a mint, the royal treasury, the national archeries, a cathedral, two royal minsters, and sixty churches; and possessed, in its cathedral, the remains of more personages of the various royal families than all other places in England. It was taken and retaken, in 1141, in the contest between Maud and Stephen; and it then suffered destruction of twenty churches and a large proportion of its dwelling-houses by fire. Henry I. was crowned in it, and chartered it. Richard I. also was crowned in it, and came to it again after his captivity. John was in it 52 times, and held a parliament in it in 1207. Prince Henry, the son of John, and commonly called Henry of Winchester, was born in it. Henry III. held parliaments in it in 1265 and 1270, and kept his court in it in seven different years. The younger De Montfort, in the course of the barons' war, sacked it in 1265. Edward I. visited it with his queen, in four different years; and held in it, in 1285, the parliament which enacted the ordinances known as the "statutes of Winchester." Edward II. held a parliament in it in 1308; and his queen held another parliament in it, which condemned the Earl of Kent, in 1329. Edward III. made it the general wool-mart of England, and held a parliament in it in 1354. Richard II. visited it, with his queen, in 1388, and held a parliament in it in 1392. Henry IV. was married in it in 1402, and held parliaments in it in 1403 and 1405. Henry V. entertained the French ambassadors in it in 1415, prior to his departure for Agincourt. Henry VI. visited it in three different years, held a parliament in it in 1449, and took note of its college as his model for Eton. Prince Arthur, son of Henry VII., was born in it, and received his name in accordance with its traditions respecting King Arthur of the "round table." Henry VIII. and the Emperor Charles V. were in it together in 1522. Mary was married in it to Philip of Spain in 1554. Raleigh was tried in it, and James I. visited it, in 1603. Waller took it in 1642; Ogle, in 1643; Waller, again, with much injury to the cathedral, in 1644; and Cromwell, with ruin to its walls, one of its castles, and many of its churches, in 1645. The plague ravaged it in 1666. Charles II. visited it in 1682 and other years; Princess Anne, in 1684; and James II. in 1685. Lamprid of the 10th century, Wool-stan of the 12th century, Dean Pace, who died in 1532, the physician Coward, who died in 1722, the scholar Potenger, who died in 1733. W. Crowe, who died in 1829, and Dr. Lingard, who died in 1851, were natives; and the family of Paulet take from the city the title of Marquis.

Site and Structure.—The city occupies the declivities and bottom of a pleasant vale. The Itchin approaches it in divided streamlets, forming a series of islets; goes past it in full volume, cutting it off from a large eastern suburb; redivides and subdivides its waters, in descending towards St. Cross; and is so smalland sluggish as to contribute little to the beauty of the landscape. High downs rise on the E of the vale; and arable hills, intersected by a deep cutting for the railway, spread on the W. The site, though pleasant, cannot be called beautiful; and is so far from being advantageous that a stranger wonders why it should ever have held a city of importance, and, still more, a metropolis of England. High-street runs through the centre, from ESE to WNW; and is spacious, regularly-built, and about 3 furlongs in length. The other streets are narrow; some run parallel to High-street, but most run at right angles with it; and all, except for containing some vestige or monument of antiquity, are devoid of interest. Chishul-street is the chief one of the eastern suburb, runs along the margin of the river, and is upwards of ½ a mile in length. The city, as seen from the railway-station, is a "wide-extended mass of old brick houses, grey church towers, and red-tiled roofs, with immediately in front, on the brow of the descending eminence, a huge square edifice, now answering as a bar-rack for soldiers, but formerly a royal residence" Important recent improvements, including extensive water-works, an ultra-mural cemetery of 7 acres, and a system of drainage-works, have been made. The cemetery lies to the SW, and commands a fine view of the city. The drainage-works were projected about the beginning of 1867, and were estimated to cost from £13,000 to £20,000.

Public Buildings.—Three of the city gates were taken down in 1770. The King's gate still stands; forms the entrance to College-street; dates from the 13th century; and is surmounted by St. Swithin's church, rebuilt in the 1 6th century. The West gate also still stands; dates from the time of Henry III.; and is notable for the vanquishing of a gigantic Dane by Guy of Warwick outside of it. The guildhall occupies the site of previous guildhalls, dating from 1112; was erected in 1713; is in the Doric style; and has, in front, a sculptured statue of Queen Anne. A new town hall was projected in 1866; and a proposal was then made for erecting it in substitution for the museum, and on that building's site, but was not adopted. The city cross stands in the centre of High-street; was erected, in the early part of the 15th century, by a city guild; is a pyramidal structure of three stages, 43½ feet high, in later English architecture; is adorned with arches, niches, statuary, and pinnacles; contains, in the second stage, a statue of St. Lawrence; and was restored in 1865. An obelisk, not far from the West gate, on the road to Weeke, commemorates the plague of 1666. Wolvesey Castle adjoins W. college; was built, in 1138, by Bishop de Blois; had a keep 250 feet long and 160 feet wide; was dismantled, in 1646, by order of Cromwell; and is now a picturesque ruin, with interesting features of Norman architecture. The royal castle or palace was built by William the Conqueror; acquired a hall or chapel from Henry III.; and is now represented by only the hall and fragments of a subterranean passage. The hall is now the county court: measures 110 feet in length, and 45 feet in width; is a very fine specimen of the domestic architecture of the 13th century; is divided by pillars and arches, like the nave and aisles of a church; and has, at its E end, above what was formerly the royal seat, the alleged "round table" of King Arthur, 18 feet in diameter, as old as the time of King Stephen, and figured, in painting of the first part of the 6th century, with representations of King Arthur and his 24 knights. A palace was founded, near the royal castle, by Charles II.; was designed by Wren, after the model of the palace of Versailles; was stopped, after two years' progress, in consequence of Charles's death; received some addition from the husband of Queen Anne, but never attained completion as a palace; became an asylum for the emigrant clergy of France during the great Revolution; was fitted up, in 1811, as a barrack for the accommodation of 2,000 men; and measures 328 feet in length. The county jail and house of correction was recently erected on West Hill, in lieu of an old hail which stood in Jewry-street, and of a bridewell which stood on the site of Hyde abbey; and it has capacity for 380 male and 67 female prisoners. The market house was built in 1772, and rebuilt in 1857. The corn exchange was built in 1839: and has a frontage of 120 feet, and a Tuscan portico. A handsome stone bridge connects the city with the eastern suburb. Other public buildings are a theatre, assembly-rooms, the post-office, and the edifices to be noticed in subsequent paragraphs.

The Cathedral.—A mythical cathedral is assigned to the year 177; and a reconstruction of it to the year 293. A real cathedral, or, at least, a church so called, was built in 647; a reconstruction of it in 980; and a second reconstruction in 1095. The site is low ground adjacent to the river. The present pile possibly includes fragments of the reconstruction of 980; certainly includes portions of that of 1095; and comprises so many subsequent additions and renovations as to exhibit all styles from late Saxon to Tudor, and to belong to upwards of ten centuries. It is cruciform, with a central tower; and has a total length of 560 feet. The nave is 250 feet long, 86 feet wide, and 78 feet high; the transept is 208 feet long, and 78 feet wide; the choir, with adjuncts, is 138 feet long, and 43 feet wide; the Lady chapel is 54 feet long; the presbytery is 70 feet long; and the tower is 50 feet long, 48 feet wide, and 138½ feet high. The W front and all the nave were completed by the famous William of Wykeham, and are later English. The W front is 118 feet wide; has a great window of six orders, and in three compartments; rises into a panelled gable, set between hexagonal turrets, crowned with spirelets; and shows, in the canopied niche of the gable, a statue of William of Wykeham. The nave exteriorly would be bald but for an outline fringed with pinnacles; and interiorly is composed of eleven bays. The transept is of three bays, the choir of five bays, the Lady chapel of three bays, the presbytery of three bays; and the transept and the tower are Norman, -the Lady chapel, elaborate Tudor,-the presbytery, early and decorated English. The sanctuary extends from the lectern to an exquisite reredos; was constructed in 1320-50; and is the finest specimen of tabernacle-work in England. The chief monuments are chantries of William of Wykeham, William de Edingdon, Bishop Fox, Bishop Gardiner, Bishop Waynflete, and Cardinal Beaufort; mitred tombs of Bishop Morley and Bishop Mews; an effigies of Bishop de Rupibus; a brass of Bishop Cooper; monuments of Bishop Tomline, Bishop Courtenay, Bishop de Lucy, Bishop Willis, Bishop Levinz, Bishop Ethelmar, Bishop Langton, Bishop North, Prior de Basyng, Prior Silkstede, Dr. Joseph Warton, Izaak Walton, Sir J. Clobery, Sir Arnold de Gaveston, Richard Earl of Portland, Prince Richard, son of William I., Dr. Littlehales, Elizabeth Montagu, and Miss Jane Austen: a table-tomb of the Rev. F. Iremonger; and memorial windows to Charles Morley and Canon Poulter.-The cloisters measured 180 feet by 174, and were destroyed in 1570. The chapter-house stood in the garden of the deanery; covered an area of 86 feet by 37; and is now represented by a north Norman arcade, and west arches open to the close. The ancient sacristy, in the W aisle of the S transept, is now used as the chapter-house. The deanery is entered by three arches and a vaulted passage, of the time of Henry III.; and includes a hall, with fine. roof and windows, of the 15th century. The episcopal palace, from 1138 till the time of the Commonwealth, was Wolvesey castle; the subsequent episcopal palace was founded in 1684 and completed in 1706,-contains a chapel, a gallery, and some good rooms in the architecture of its period,- and was used for some time as a diocesan training-school; and the present episcopal palace is not at Winchester, but at Farnham in Surrey.

Ecclesiastical Affairs.—The livings in the city, or connected with it, are the rectories of St. Lawrence, St. Maurice, St. Mary-Kalendar, St. Peter-Colebrook, Holy Trinity, St. Thomas, St. Clement, St. Michael, St. Peter-Cheesehill, St. S within , and St. Faith,-the vicarages of St. Bartholomew-Hyde and Christchurch,-the p. curacy of St. John,-and the chapelries of St. Cross and John-the-Baptist; and those of St. Mary-Kalendar and St. Peter-Colebrook are annexed to St. Maurice; that of St. Clement is annexed to St. Thomas, and that of St. Cross is annexed to St. Faith. Value of St. Lawrence, £56; of St. Naurice, with St. M.-K. and St. P.-C., £210; of Holy Trinity, £180:* of St. Thomas with St. Clement, £300;* of St. John, £82; of St. Michael, £104;* of St. Peter-Cheesehill, £185; of St. S within , £80; of St. Faith, with St. Cross, £250; of St. Bartholomew-Hyde, £160;* of Christchurch, £80; of St. John-the-Baptist, £100. Patron of St. Lawrence, St. Peter-Cheesehill, St. S within, and St. Bartholomew-Hyde, the Lord Chancellor; of Holy Trinity, the Rev. J. A. Seymour; of Christchurch, Trustees; of St. John-the-Baptist, St. John's Hospital; of the other s, the Bishop of Winchester.

The number of churches in the city was at one time 90, besides 5 chapels; and now is only 12. St. Lawrence ranks as the mother church, and is later English. St. Maurice was once collegiate; and is now a modern building, in the early English style, with an ancient later English tower. Holy Trinity church is a recent erection. St. Thomas' was rebuilt in 1846, and is a handsome edifice, with a beautiful spire. St. John's includes portions from transition Norman to later English, has aisles wider than the nave, and projects its tower from the end of the S aisle. St. Peter's-Cheese-hill is nearly square; and has Norman, transition Norman, early English, decorated English, and later English portions. St. Cross church is noticed in the article Cross (St.). St. Bartholomew's is said to have been built with fragments of Hyde abbey; and has some fine Norman portions, recently restored. Christchurch was built in 1861, at a cost of £3,500; and is in the early decorated English style. St. John-the-Baptist's chapel is late early English. The Wesleyan chapel, in St. Peter-street, was built in 1865, at a cost of £2,000; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and other dissenters. The Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1792; and has a Norman porch, taken from an ancient hospital, and stained windows.

In the 12th century, three royal monasteries and many religions house s of less note were in the city. At the dissolution of monasteries, the chief religions house s were the royal-abbey of Hyde, founded by Alfred, and possessing, at the time of its suppression, an annual revenue of £866; St. Mary's abbey, a convent of Benedictine nuns, endowed by the queen of Alfred; St. Swithin's priory, possessing, at the time of its suppression, an annual revenue of £1,508; a Carmelite friary, in King's-gate-street; an Augustinian friary, near Southgate; a Dominican friary, at Eastgate; a Franciscan friary, in Middle Brook-street; the Sustern, or convent of hospitable nuns, near King's-gate; and the hospitals of St. Cross, St. John, St. Elizabeth, and St. Mary Magdalen.

Schools and Institutions.—W. College was founded in 1382-93, by William of Wykeham, for a warden, 10 fellows, and 70 scholars; covers the site of a grammar-school, dating from at least 1136; is a school of the higher order, training young gentlemen in classics and science; was instituted in connection with New College, Oxford, and forms a kind of literary porch to that college; admits, not only a given number of young gentlemen on its foundation, but also a certain number more, under the name of commoners, on the terms of a boarding-school; was the earliest institution of its kind in England, and served as a model for the schools of Eton and Westminster; had endowments, in the time of Henry VIII, amounting to £639 a year; and numbers among its pupils Sir Thomas Browne, Sir Henry Wotton, Sidney Smith, the poets Otway, Collins, Young, Warton, Somerville, and Phillips, Archbishops Chicheley and Howley, Bishops Waynflete, Ken, Lowth, and about 35 other prelates. The buildings stand on the verge of the Itchin's vale, in the lower environs of the city; are surrounded by a protecting-wall; and form two quadrangles and a cloister, chiefly of the age of the founder, and a suite of house s for the commoners, of recent erection. A spacious gateway leads to the first court; and a splendid chapel and a fine hall close up the second. The chapel has carvings by Gibbons, rich stained windows, and a fine vaulted roof; and the hall measures 63 feet by 30, and has an open ornate roof. The schoolroom is a plain brick structure, of the time of Charles II., measuring 90 feet by 36. The cloister was not completed till about 1430; and it encloses a quadrangular area of 17,424 square feet. The commoners' house s were built, by subscription of quondam pupils, at a cost of £25,000.-The diocesan training school was erected in 1862, at a cost of £7,500; is in the pointed style of the latter part of the 14th century; has accommodation for 56 students, and residences for principal, vice-principal, and matron; includes a lecture-hall 45 feet by 22, two classrooms 25 feet by 22, and a dining-hall 41 feet by 22; and stand s on a gently elevated plot of 5 acres.-The city library and museum is in Jury-street; and the museum contains the original Winchester bushel, a warder's horn from the royal castle, and some other interesting local antiquities.-The mechanics institution was established in 1835.

St. John's hospital was founded in 933, for the relief of the sick and the wayfaring; was refounded in the time of Edward II.; went, after the dissolution of monasteries, to the city corporation; was then converted into a public banqueting-room and assembly-room; and now has, connected with it, a handsome suite of alms-house s, built in 1833-4. Christ's hospital was founded by Peter Symonds, in 1586, for 6 aged men and 4 poor boys; sends two of the boys to the universities, and maintains them there; gives an apprentice fee of £30 to each of the other boys: and has an income of about £440. Bishop Morley's college was founded in 1672 for 10 widows of clergymen; and stands on the N side of the cathedral, beyond the close. Lambe's alms houses are for 6 widows. The county hospital was founded in 1736, stood in the parish of St. Mary-Kalendar, and had 93 inmates at the census of 1861; and a new building for it, near the site of the diocesan training-school, was erected in 1868. The total endowed charities of the city, inclusive of £1,088 for the hospital of St. Cross, amount to £2,371.

Trade, &c.—The city has a head post-office,‡ a r. station with telegraph, three banking offices, and four chief inns; publishes a weekly newspaper; and is a seat of assizes, quarter sessions and county courts, and a polling place and place of election. The woollen trade, once of great importance, long ago decayed, and was not followed by any important manufacture. Brewing, malting, the sale of agricultural produce, and business connected with courts and with the diocese now form the principal occupation. Markets are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays; fairs are held on the first Monday in Lent, 2 Aug., and 23 and 24 Oct.; and races are run annually, on a two-mile course, about 3 miles to the NW. The city has sent two members to Parliament since the time of Edward I.: and it is governed, under the new municipal act, by a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors. The borough boundaries, both parliamentary and municipal, include the ville of Milland , the extra-parochial places of Bishop Morley's College, Cathedral Yard, Close of Winchester, College Mill, College Wharf, St. Cross Hospital Precinct, Winchester College, Weirs, and Wolvesley, the parishes of St. Lawrence, St Mary-Kalendar, St. Maurice, St. Michael, St. Peter-Cheesehill, St. Peter-Colebrook, St. Swithin, and St. Thomas, and parts of the parishes of Chilcombe, St. Bartholomew-Hyde, St. Faith, St. John, Weeke, and Winnall. Acres, £2,250. Corporation revenue, about £2,615. Amount of property and income tax charged in 1863, £5,171. Real property in 1860, inclusive of the rest of St. Bartholomew-Hyde and St. John, but exclusive of the rest of Chilcombe, Weeke, and Winnall, £49,572; of which £977 were in gasworks, and £25 in quarries. Electors in 1833, 531; in 1863, 901. Pop in 1851, 13,704; in 1861, 14,776. Houses, 2,392.

The District.—The registration or poor-law district in- cludes all the city, the rest of the parishes partly in it, 21 other parishes, parts of two others, and another extra-parochial place; and is divided into the sub-districts of Winchester, Twyford, Hursley, Mitcheldever, and the Worthys. Acres, 78,676. Poor rates in 1863, £15,098. Pop. in 1851, 25,661; in 1861, 26,607. Houses, 4,807. Marriages in 1866, 187; births, 749,-of which 32 were illegitimate; deaths, 481,-of which 136 were at ages under 5 years, and 28 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,914; births, 6,861; deaths, 5,305. The places of worship, in 1851, were 39 of the Church of England , with 10,323 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 500 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 410 s.; 2 of Wesleyans, with 400 s.; 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 150 s.; 1 of Bible Christians, with 74 s.; 3 of the Wesleyan Association, with 380 s.; 1 of the New Church, with 60 s.; and 2 of Roman Catholics, with 355 s. The schools were 40 public day-schools, with 2,510 scholars; 49 private day-schools, with 1,067 s.; 48 Sunday-schools, with 3,232 s.; and 3 evening-schools for adults, with 40 s. Work house s are in Weeke and Hursley.

The Diocese.—W. diocese dates from 660; had Birinus for its first bishop; comprehends, at present, all Hants, all the Channel islands, and all Surrey except 5 parishes and 4 parts contiguous to London; will, at the next avoidance, give off 16 more parishes in Surrey; and is divided into the archdeaconries of Winchester and Surrey. Acres, 1,573,252. Pop. in 1861, 1,267,794. Houses, 208,713. The bishop ranks next, in dignity, to the bishop of London; and is, ex-officio, sub-dean of Canterbury and prelate of the Garter. The cathedral establishment includes the bishop, a dean, 5 canons, 2 archdeacons, a chancellor, and 5 minor canons. The bishop's income is £10,500; and the chapter's income, in 1852, was £22,878. Among the bishops have been S within , associated with rain; Brinstan, fabled to have had responses from ghosts; Elfsin, frozen on the Alps; Athelwold, noted for coining the church plate in a time of famine; Brithelm, commemorated in the name of Brithelmston or Brighton; Walkelyn, noted for cutting down the royal forest of Hempage; Giffard, Lord Chancellor; De Blois, called the princely; Toclive, grand justiciar: De Roche, knighted for military service by. Richard I.; Rayleigh, "a coward among men-at-arms, a hero against clerks;" D'Ely, Chancellor and Treasurer; S and al, Lord Chancellor; Edingdon, noted for declining translation to Canterbury; Wykeham, founder of Winchester and New colleges; Beaufort and Waynflete, Lords Chancellors; Waynflete, founder of Magdalen college; Fox, founder of Corpus Christi college; Wolsey, afterwards Cardinal; Gardiner, Lord Chancellor, and noted for cruelty; White, whom Elizabeth unfrocked for a heavy jest; Horne, branded as a bigot; Watson, noted for an effort to decline the mitre; Bilson, one of the translators of the Bible; Morley, founder of the clergymen's widows' college; Mews, a cavalier officer; Hoadley, branded for heresy; and Tomline, lampooned in the "Probationary Odes."

The archdeaconry of Winchester contains the deanery of Winchester, with 23 livings; the d. of Alresford, with 13; the d. of Alton-East, with 10; the d. of Alton-West, with 18; the d. of Andover-Northeast, with 14; the d. of Andover-Northwest, with 12; the d. of Andover-Southwest, with 16; the d. of Basingstoke-Northeast, with 15; the d. of Basingstoke-Southwest, with 22; the d. of Chilbolton, with 14; the d. of Droxford-Northeast, with 13; the d. of Droxford-Southeast, with 14; the d. of Droxford-Southwest, with 11; the d. of Droxford-Northwest, with 12; the d. of Fawley, with 12; the d. of Fordingbridge-East, with 13; the d. of Fordingbridge-West, with 13; the d. of Mitcheldever, with 8; the d. of Odiham, with 13; the d. of Somborne, with 16; the d. of Southampton, with 30; the d. of West Meon, with 13; the d. of East Medina, with 26; and the d. of West Medina, with 16. The archdeaconry of Surrey contains the deanery of Ewell-West, with 11 livings; the d. of Ewell-Northeast, with 20; the d. of Ewell-Northwest, with 13; the d. of Ewell-Southeast, with 15; the d. of Ewell-Southwest, with 17; the d. of Stoke, with 20; the d. of Stoke-North-west, with 18; the d. of Stoke-Southwest, with 18; the d. of Stoke-Northeast, with 13; the d. of Stoke-South-east, with 16; the d. of Southwark, with 22; the d. of Lambeth, with 36; and the d. of Streatham, with 22.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a city, a district, and a division"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Winchester CP       Winchester RegD       Hampshire AncC       Surrey AncC
Place: Winchester

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.