Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WITTERING (West)

WITTERING (West), a parish, with a village, in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on the coast, 5½ miles SSW of Bosham r. station. It has a post-office under Chichester. Acres, 3,615; of which 1,245 are water-Real property, £4,550. Pop., 616. Houses, 136. Cakeham is the seat of J. Gorham, Esq. A palace of the Bishops of Chichester once stood here; and a lofty brick hexagonal tower connected with it, and built in the early part of the 16th century, still stands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £172. Patron, the Bishop ofThe church is ancient. There are a national school, and charities £11.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: West Wittering AP/CP       Westhampnett PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place names: WEST WITTERING     |     WITTERING     |     WITTERING WEST
Place: West Wittering

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.