Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WITTON-GILBERT

WITTON-GILBERT, a village and a parish in Chester-le-Street district, Durhamshire. The village stands near the Consett railway, 3¼ miles NW by W of Durham; took the latter part of its name from Gilbert de la Ley, the owner of the manor in the time of Bishop Pudsey; and has a post-office under Durham, and a r. station. The parish includes five hamlets, and comprises 2,535 acres. Real property, £10,544; of which £4,300 are in mines, and £1,351 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 1,758; in 1861, 2,098. Houses, 421. The property is divided chiefly among four. A lepers' hospital was founded here by Gilbert de la Ley; and is now represented by only a fragment in a farmhouse. The living is a rectory, united with Kimbleworth, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £303.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D. The church was rebuilt in 1859. The vicarage of Sacristan is a separate benefice. There are several Methodist chapels, two national schools, and charities £15.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Witton Gilbert CP/AP       Chester le Street PLU/RegD       County Durham AncC
Place: Witton Gilbert

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.