Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WITTON

WITTON, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies ½ a mile N of Cherry-Tree r. station, and 1½ W by S of Blackburn; and contains large cotton mills. Acres, 650. Real property, £6,904. Pop. in 1851, 1,367; in 1861, 3,292. Houses, 664. The increase of pop. arose from increase of cotton mills. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to J. Feilden, Esq. Billinge Hill is within the park, rises to an altitude of 900 feet, and commands a very extensive view.—The chapelry extends beyond the township, and was constituted in 1842. Post town, Blackburn. Pop., 5,297. Houses, 1,041. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1837, and is in the Norman style.—The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 6,190. Pop., 8,115. Houses, 1,580.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Witton Tn/CP       Blackburn PLU/RegD       Lancashire AncC
Place: Witton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.