Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WOOTTON

WOOTTON, a township in Ellastone parish, Stafford; 4½ miles W by S of Ashborne. Real property, £2,061. Pop., 185. Houses, 40. W. Hall was built by Inigo Jones; was the residence of Roussean in 1766; and belongs now to the Bromleys.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Ellastone AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Wootton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.