|Identifier:||Cantref||Number of units in system:|
|Geographical Level:||8 (Higher-level District)|
|ADL Feature Type:||countries, 3rd order divisions|
|Is a status within:||Division of Ancient County|
Written also as 'kantry', this Welsh word 'cantref' originated from the joining of two words; cant (hundred) and tref (dwelling place, village). The Cantref was an ancient administrative division of the counties of Wales. It was composed of a hundred villages and was recorded as an intermediate unit between a county and a hundred. These ancient divisions were created in the medieval period and abolished in 1536, with Act of Union between England and Wales.