In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newnham Murren like this:
NEWNHAM-MURREN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Wallingford and county of Oxford; on the river Thames, under the Chiltern hills, 1 mile S S E of Wallingford r. station. Post-town, Wallingford. Acres, 1,830. Real property, £2, 670. Pop., 231. Houses, 47. The manor belongs to Hedges, Esq, The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of North Stoke, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is ancient, and has been entirely restored. A section of the parish, with a pop. of 58, is included in Stoke-Row chapelry. Charities, £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newnham Murren has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newnham Murren and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newnham Murren in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newnham Murren".