Place:


Blawith  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blawith like this:

BLAWITH, a township-chapelry in Ulverston parish, Lancashire; on the river Crake, 4 miles NW of Foxfield r. station, and 6 ½ N of Ulverston. Post Town, NewbyBridge, under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 2,620. Real property, £1,082. Pop., 193. Houses, 39. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface is upland moor. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £63. Patrons, Messrs. Petty and Postlethwaite. The church is an edifice of slatestone and red sandstone, in the pointed style, and was built in 1862. Charities, £10.

Blawith through time

Blawith is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blawith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blawith, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9985

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blawith ".