In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nettlebed like this:
NETTLEBED, a village and a parish in Henley district, Oxford. The village stands on an eminence of the Chiltern hills, 5 miles N W of Henley r. station; is a pleasant place, with well-built, neat, and very cleanprincipal street; contains several good inns and shops; is apolling place; and has a post-office under Henley-on-Thames, and a fair on 29 Oct. The parish comprises 1, 164acres. Real property, £2, 156. Pop., 73 7. Houses, 148. Windmill Hill, near the village, commands beautiful and extensive views. ...
Nettlebed Hill rises to a height of 820 feet above sea-level. A considerable trade is done inbeech timber; a saw-mill was recently erected; chair-making is carried on; chalk-rock is calcined for lime; and bricks, tiles, and coarse potteryware are made. The parish is a meet for the Bramshill hounds. The living is a donative in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £112. Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. T. L. Bennett. The church was rebuilt in 1846, and is a beautiful edifice. There is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nettlebed has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nettlebed and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nettlebed in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nettlebed".