In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Monmouth like this:
Monmouth, parl. and mun. bor., par., and co. town of Monmouthshire, 19 miles S. of Hereford and 145 miles from London by rail - par., 3420 ac., pop. 5586; bor. (extending into Dixton Newton par.), 4983 ac., pop. 6111; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The mfrs., which are inconsiderable, include ironfounding, tanning, and tinplate-working, also chemical works and sawmills. Monmouth is pleasantly situated in a fine valley, sheltered by hills, near the junction of the rivers Wye, Monnow, and Trothy, It has considerable historical interest. ...
During the Saxon era it was a stronghold, intended to check the Britons who descended from the fastnesses of Wales. It has some remains of a famous castle, the favourite residence of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, and the birthplace of Henry V. Monmouth received a charter of incorporation from Edward VI.; it was made a parliamentary borough in the reign of Henry VIII. It unites with Newport and Usk in returning 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Monmouth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Monmouth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monmouth in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Monmouth".