In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Malvern like this:
MALVERN (WEST), a chapelry in Mathon, Colwall, Cradley, and Leigh parishes, Hereford and Worcester; 2 miles W of Great Malvern r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post office‡ under Malvern. Pop. in 1861,1,417. Houses, 266. Pop. of the Mathon portion, 539; of the Colwall portion, 91; of the Cradley portion, 378. The surface has a western aspect, and commands an extensive view over a hilly country. The water is of similar purity to that of Great Malvern. There are numerous lodging-houses; and visitors and population are rapidly increasing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £230.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Malvern has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Malvern Hills. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Malvern and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Malvern, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Malvern".