In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Leigh like this:
LEIGH (NORTH), a village and a parish in Witney district, Oxford. The village stands 1½ mile SE of Akeman-street, 2¾ W by S of Handborough r. station, and 3 NE by N of Witney. The parish contains also the hamlet of Newyatt; and its Post town is Witney. Acres, 2,460. Real property, £4,025; of which £18 are in quarries. Pop., 738. Houses, 163. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Marlborough. A Roman villa, 212 feet by 167, a tesselated pavement, a hypocaust, coins of Clandins, and other Roman relics, were found in the parish in 1813-6. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £147.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; has a Norman low square tower; and contains a fine alabaster figured tomb, and several other monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £51.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing North Leigh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering North Leigh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Leigh in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "North Leigh".