In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton like this:
BARTON, a township in Preston parish, and a chapelry in Preston, Kirkham, Lancaster, and Garstang parishes, Lancashire. The township has a station on the Northwestern railway, 5½ miles N-of Preston. Acres, 2,536. Real property, £3,782. Pop., 343. Houses, 67. Barton Hall and Barton Lodge are within the limits.The chapelry was constituted in 1850; and its Post Town is Preston. Pop., 886. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120.* Patron, R. Jacson, Esq., and G. Marton, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Preston. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton, in Preston and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barton".