In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bardsley like this:
BARDSLEY, a chapelry in Ashton-under-Lyne parish, Lancashire; 2 miles N by W of Ashton. Pop., 2,721. Houses, 529. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in cotton factories, iron-works, and coal-mines. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £22l.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was built in l844, and schools in 1846, at costs of £2,500 and £2,100.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bardsley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Oldham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bardsley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bardsley, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bardsley".