In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tottington like this:
TOTTINGTON, a chapelry, which is also a sub-district, in Tottington-Lower-End township, Bury parish and district, Lancashire; 2½ miles NNW of Bury r. station. It was constituted in 1843; and it has a village of its own name, a post-office under Bury, and a fair on the third Friday of Aug. Pop., 5,119. Houses, 992. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Crown; was given, by Charles II., to Gen. Monk; and passed, through the Duchess of Buccleuch, to Lord Montague. There are numerous good residences. T. Hall is a classical academy. Cotton manufacture is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Bury. The church is plain. There are an Independent chapel, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tottington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tottington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tottington, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tottington".