In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westnewton like this:
NEWTON (West), a hamlet and a township in Kirk .newton parish, Northumberland. The hamlet lies near the river Glen, 6 miles W N W of Wooler. The township contains also the hamlet of Canna-Mill, and comprises 1,063 acres. Pop., 75. Houses, 13. The manor belongs to the Earl of Tankerville.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Westnewton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Berwick upon Tweed. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Westnewton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westnewton, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Westnewton".