In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blockley like this:
BLOCKLEY, a village and a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour, and county of Worcester. The village stands in a south-eastern projection of the county, on the Fossé way, adjacent to the Oxford and Worcester railway, 3¼ miles NW of Moreton-in-the-Marsh; and has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Moreton-in-the-Marsh, a church, a Baptist chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and national and British schools. It is an ancient place; and had once a monastery, founded before 855, and a palace of the Bishops of Worcester.The parish includes also the hamlets of Aston-Magna, Dorne, Ditchford, Draycott, Northwick, and Paxford. ...
Acres, 7,870. Real property, £16,092. Pop., 2,596. Houses, 580. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the see of Worcester. There are stone quarries, silk-mills, and corn mills. Traces of the Fosse way exist, and many Roman coins and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £762.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is partly Norman, has a modern tower, and contains two brasses of the 15th century. The vicarage of Aston-Magna is a separate benefice.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Blockley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Blockley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blockley, in Cotswold and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Blockley".