In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Finmere like this:
FINMERE, a parish in the district of Brackley and county of Oxford; on the river Ouse, and on the Tring and Banbury railway, contiguous to Bucks, 4½ miles SE of Brackley. Post town, Mixbury, under Brackley. Acres, 1, 542. Real property, £2, 180. Pop., 338. Houses, 81. The property is divided among a few. Finmere House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £345.* Patron, William Ashwell, Esq. The church is very good; and there are charities £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Finmere has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cherwell. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Finmere and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Finmere, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Finmere".