In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipley like this:
SHIPLEY, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland; 4½ miles NW of Alnwick. Acres, 1,991. Pop., 110. Houses, 20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shipley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Alnwick. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shipley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipley, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shipley".